Monday, October 18, 2010

Character turns

Consistency in drawing characters over a long story is really important.
And I suck at it.
So, while I'm trying to stitch the parts of the story together, I thought I'd do some "cheat sheets", technically known as turns...kind of a guide that shows the basic landmarks of the facial features of the main characters.
So, over here on the left is what I want Doc to look like..sans glasses.  He has heroic features...strong, but not stupid...with some inhuman features like the eyes, eyebrows and slightly pointed ears...without losing a look of intelligence.  It's not perfect, but I like it ok.
Of course, Doc can't see too well without his glasses, so I printed out the scan and laid in a pair of his monstrous specs.

Ah, that's better, isn't it?  Well, he doesn't have his pipe or his fashionable clothes, but the basics are there.  Very good.  Now, how about other characters?  Well, I managed to work out one for CIA Agent, Carson Clay.
I like how it turned out as well.  I should do more sketching from life, but I think I captured a bit of his essence.....honest, everyman features with just a bit of wear and frailty around the edges.  Poor Clay has had a bit of a hard life, and it isn't going to get easier very soon.  Hanging around with Doc has it's hazards, I suppose.

So, I have at least two more turns to work through for regularly appearing characters...a male and a couple of females.  I'm both looking forward to and dreading the women...I'm a bit out of practice drawing them, but they should make an interesting challenge.
I've also ordered a book from Amazon called "Writing Fiction for Dummies", which is from the author of the Snowflake Method that I've been admiring.  I'll let you know what I think of it and how much of it applies to writing Graphic Novels when it comes in.  Should be any day now.  I'm looking forward to getting started on this thing, but I want to make sure it really, really rocks.
I mean, why tell a story if you aren't excited by it?
Ok, more later!
-Dave

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I always wondered how cartoonists and comic creators made sure the characters always looked the same. I'm looking forward to the graphic novel. Hmm. I may have to look at that book you mentioned too. A few people have asked me about writing a book, which I think I might like to give a shot.

Dave_Flora said...

By all means, give it a shot! I just got the book in and it is fantastic so far. I very much recommend it!
-Dave