Sunday, January 2, 2011

Tell Me What You See.

(Click the image to MONSTER size it!)

Happy New Year!!
I hope you and your loved ones had a great holiday.  For me, there's nothing like starting off the new year with a new panel of DOC MONSTER!
I've got some language in that last panel, and it makes me think that, like all good movies, this story should have a rating on it.  I know, that when going into a movie (or reading a story, for that matter), I'd kind of like to know what KIND of story I'm seeing before I start...and that includes violence and profanity.  In this case, I don't think Doc is a story for young kids.  There probably won't be nudity or incredibly graphic violence, but there will be some horrible things.  Maybe PG?  Hmm.  I'll have to think about it.

Concerning writing, I was reading a bio of early 20th century science fiction author, E. E. Smith (I'm reading his 1947 novel "Spacehounds of IPC") and he mentioned an interesting way to visualize pacing in a story....picturing it live a wave plotted on a graph.  He described it has having "peaks" of action and "valleys" of backstory and discussion.  Modern theorists have different names for it...action and reaction, for example, but for some reason that wave idea stuck in my mind.  I'm going to try to keep it in my thoughts....Doc Monster is basically an action/adventure, so I want to make sure that the story is oscillating at a very regular rate.  You'll note that we started the story with an action scene, and now we're seeing backstory.  Action, will obviously follow, and so on.  I suppose some variance of the idea can occur, but in general, I think that kind of balance is a good thing to be aware of when you're telling a story.  Too little action, and things get boring...too little backstory, and there's no plot.

More soon!
-Dave

4 comments:

SIMON said...

He breaks legs... classic. Really enjoying the dialogue.

Also it never ceases to amaze me how good you are at the hardware... gadgets, objects, cars... as well as the people. We can't quite make it out yet, but you just know that's a slick ride Doc is driving.

Dave_Flora said...

Thanks again, Simon!

As for the gadgets and gizmos, I cheat. I look up as much reference material I can find on Google before I start drawing anything that requires detail (clocks, phones, desks, lamps, cars, trucks, buildings, etc), including using Google Sketchup to find models and sometimes even build complete scenes for reference on position, scale and perspective. It's extra work, but in order to be convincing, I have to do it. Usually, it's pretty fun, too.

-Dave

The Professor said...

Well, now, Agent Clay is turning out to be an interesting guy. When we first saw him at the drive-in theater invasion he was an everyman with a tragic recent history. I recognize the story telling device of the everyman but those characters aren't very interesting to me. But here we see he's clever enough to know who's on the phone, he's sarcastic and actually quite funny. And there are hints at his history working for the company. Now I can see he's actually a formidable character with human problems and that's fascinating. I suspect I'll always be all about Doc but it turns out I really like Clay as well. Very well drawn character in an all around excellent piece of work.

Dave_Flora said...

Thank you for that evaluation, Professor! Clay is indeed an interesting character. He is the "interface" through which the story is told, so his experiences are important, and we'll see more about them later on. I certainly don't want to eclipse Doc's importance in the story....I'm going for a relationship much like Sherlock Holmes and Watson.
I do have to say that I look forward to writing for Clay...he's got a sense of humor I appreciate!

-Dave