Saturday, January 29, 2011

We're All Gonna DIE!!

(Click on the image to MONSTER size it or click here to read from the beginning!)

Everyone meet Mason.  Hi, Mason!
Mason has had a bad night and he's grumpy.  So grumpy, in fact, that he could kill someone.  And, he might, too.
I had a dickens of a time with this panel.  In fact, I re-drew the previous idea (Clay walking up to the truck) so much, I just abandoned it and cut right to the chase.  I wanted to capture something in particular about Mason.  He had to look like a native...a country man...without seeming funny or caricature-ish.  Mason means business, and I wanted to make sure I showed it.  I'm pretty happy with how he turned out.  He definitely isn't a businessman, and he seems beat-up enough to look like he's been rolled in a truck, but still dangerous.
I grew up around guys like this.  My dad owns a cattle farm, used to own a dairy, and I worked like a dog all summer in hay and tobacco.  I remember the rough-handed, rough-housing, rough-living guys who used to help with tobacco.  Usually, they weren't well read, but all of them had interesting stories, and could work in the burning heat like machines.
Mason is one of those guys...built like a tree, with the capability of hurting someone if he had to.

Welcome to Stockton Station, Doc.

-Dave

4 comments:

Sean_Frye said...

Dave, the story is great so far. I believe Mason is about to meet Doc. Right? I also wanted to let you know that I have that Doc Monster Fan Art up on my Deviantart and my Blog page. My deviantart ID is Iconyx11 and my blog is SeanFryePresents. Check it out and tell me if I did "Doc" justice. Hope you like it.

Dave_Flora said...

Sean,

That is the coolest freaking thing!! Wonderful work..you did a great job of capturing Doc's "beastial" side. If you don't mind, I'd love to feature the art in my next update! Thanks for doing it.

-Dave

Sean_Frye said...

I hoping you like It. You got my blessing! I'm working on one more piece for you. This one will feature Doc, Agent Clay, Charlene and the Giant Ants from the B-Movie"Them!" I will let you know when I finish it.

Dave_Flora said...

I've got your art posted! MORE B-movie Doc Art Madness?? Sean, I'm on the edge of my seat!!

-Dave